Lewis G Smith, a native of Ohio, was a member of the J.T. Kincade party which came to California in 1849. In 1849 and 1850, he engaged in mining; then in the Fall of 1850, he, Mr. Kincade, and a man named Harned, built the Indian Valley House on Secret ravine. In 1853, he engaged in the general merchandising business at a section of Pine Grove (Loomis) called Smithville.
In c.1869-1870, Mr. Smith removed to Rocklin, then showing signs of becoming an important railroad and granite center. For the next ten years he engaged in merchandising at Rocklin and also served as postmaster and Wells Fargo agent there.
L. G. Smith was married twice and was the father of two daughters; Mrs. Ramsey and Miss Belle Smith, born in Rocklin.
This pioneer merchant died on November 24, 1880, at the age of 54. His second wife ( Emma R. Smith) survived him by twelve years, passing from this earth in December of 1892, aged thirty seven.
From: Rocklin: Past, Present, Future by Leonard M. Davis. Published by the Rocklin Friends of the Library, Rocklin Ca., 1981.